Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poison Ivy

Years of Experience

Default Poison Ivy

Well I've noticed that the Poison Ivy in my area is starting to look pretty healthy the last couple weeks. I got a couple spots on the back of my legs. It's really wierd because I never used to break out from Poison Ivy at all but the last couple years I get it. It never seems to spread too much but man is it itchy.

Does everyone here have to deal with Poison Ivy or it just a midwest thing?

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Default Re: Poison Ivy

Occasionally out in the rural areas where I locate especially on the farms, there is a weed here called stinging nettle. It is very much the same as poison Ivy and has a burning sensation type sting.

I have had it on my hands mostly and the sting goes away in a short time.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

We also have stinging needles here. The only nice thing about stinging needles is that the burning/stinging sensation normally only last about half an hour. The sad things are most these plants aren't even native to our continent.

For those who haven't had the pleasure of dealing with stinging needles here's a little info about it.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-stinging-nettle.htm

I am notorious for getting poison ivy. It doesn't matter what I have on or even if I get into it or not. I just have to be in the vicinity of it. Thank goodness they have come out with an ivy scrub that seems to clear it up fairly quickly. I wish you could still get the shots for it ... but that was banned quite a few years ago. That is the only thing I really don't like about spring, summer or fall.

i deal with it to, but its really bad when u have those older homes and empty lots next to them oh u look n the ivy is all in, on, and around the peds and cant forget about the black widows n brown recluses in,on and around the ivy n peds

Well I have gotten my second round of poison ivy this year! This time it has appeared on my face!! Just great... I feel like elephant girl! I think I got it the day I wore my baseball hat (was having a bad hair day)... and had to go through a wooded area ... I washed up afterwards.. but never thought about the hat.

Well of course about 36 hours later... I have it on my forehead right where the hat was... on my left ear & left hand a bit! Driving my absolutely crazy!!

I have found a scrub that gets rid of it fairly quickly (at least last time it did). It doesn't seem to be working as well on the face! I'm hoping by tomorrow I will have it under control and not continuing to spread!

I don't even have to touch this stuff to get it... so just washing up doesn't help much... obviously... and I don't live in the same area that I work... so I can't just go home and shower & change after being exposed to this stuff. When I did work in my home town years ago... I was able to do this and it seemed to help a lot.

I have never had a reaction to Poison Ivy but Stinging Nettle will get me. Gypsy, quit scratching!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Good luck getting it under control Gypsy. We had a guy that worked for us years ago like you that could pretty much drive by a ditch with poison ivy and get it without ever getting out of his truck.

Okay... I am about ready to go to chemical burn mode! (Bleaching this stuff!) Just not sure how that is going to look on my face! Definitely going to bleach the hand though! This is driving me NUTS! Gee... can't come to work today because I have poison ivy everywhere!.... Yeah... that would go over well!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locomike View Post
    i deal with it to, but its really bad when u have those older homes and empty lots next to them oh u look n the ivy is all in, on, and around the peds and cant forget about the black widows n brown recluses in,on and around the ivy n peds
    dude know what your saying......we have alot of those empty lots here and this is what i've learned.....don't hook up to none of those peds on that lot .....go down to the clean lot and hook up to that ped.......

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by gypsygirl View Post
    Okay... I am about ready to go to chemical burn mode! (Bleaching this stuff!) Just not sure how that is going to look on my face! Definitely going to bleach the hand though! This is driving me NUTS! Gee... can't come to work today because I have poison ivy everywhere!.... Yeah... that would go over well!
    gypsy............take that old ball cap you got and burn it...........

Years of Experience

my solution for poison ivy....................stay away!!!!....don't even shake it or try to chop it down out of your way......just stay away....

Like I said... I don't even have to touch the stuff! I am waiting one more day and then I am calling the doc! It has moved to my eye lids. Hubby is now getting it!! What am I going to do??? Ugh!!! (That is a rhetorical question.)

Years of Experience

Gypsy have you tried using Zanfel. That seems to be what everyone at work swears by. It's a little expensive but if it works who cares. Here's the link if you need it.

ZANFEL

I have the walgreens version of this... same ingredients... same concentration... has helped ... but not enough at this point... Thank you for the link though... I am getting a good look at the different plants... although by the time I see them it is already too late!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast