Thread: Manhole Explosion

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Manhole Explosion

Be careful out there guys.
    NYC manhole explosion kills 1 worker, injures 2nd
    October 9, 2008 - 4:20pm

NEW YORK (AP) - The New York Police Department says a manhole explosion in New York City has killed one utility worker and injured another.

Consolidated Edison spokeswoman Elizabeth Clark says two workers were splicing cable when the explosion occurred in Brooklyn on Thursday afternoon. The man who died was 26. His 28-year-old co-worker was treated at a hospital and released.

Clark says a fire in the manhole has been extinguished.

(Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
    .)
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Default Re: Manhole Explosion

This is just scary.

Here's another article about the story.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...rssnyt&emc=rss

Years of Experience

there's another reason i do not go down in them!!!!!!!!!!!!those things just scare me!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

man that's terrible

Wow... that is awful... the article didn't mention anything about a blower...

Years of Experience
    retired

That's absolutely tragic. We talked about this at our meet site this morning, but nobody had this amount of details.

When we think 'manhole' it brings up thoughts of telephone vaults. This was an electric vault. Several months back a flashover happened in a vault when an electric worker was working in one out here. Apparently his injuries were from electricity and he is still alive but still being treated. This sounds like sewer or natural gas ignited. How terrible.

You're right, gypsygirl... we also noticed the absence of a blower being mentioned. What about testing for gas as well? That's "Deadly Sin #9" on our list of things not to do - skipping out on testing before opening the manhole lid.
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

I enter a manhole at least 1 time every day. The company supplies us with gas testers to check before opening the lid. and blowers to vent. I would rather go into a manhole than deal with some of the crowded peds and cross boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I enter a manhole at least 1 time every day. The company supplies us with gas testers to check before opening the lid. and blowers to vent. I would rather go into a manhole than deal with some of the crowded peds and cross boxes.
    Jesus christ. Are you serious? You've got to be kidding. One manhole a day.....

I'd rather hook up on five X boxes than dick around in 1 manhole.

The only time I have to open a manhole seeing as I'm responsible for TV/Telephone/Water is normally to get onto a duct. Alot of times a cable inside the duct run is available at a pedestal...I hate opening manholes, especially now because Utiliquest gives us this ****ed up tool called an 'ez lift' what it really is, is a complete piece of shit that needs to be thrown away
    Last edited by scap; October 16th, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde