Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Locator Safety Awareness Week June 23-29

Default Re: Locator Safety Awareness Week June 23-29

Nice call Pro Lo, very true on the receiver distraction!
    Last edited by Utilitrack; June 18th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    The locate receiver can walk us right into trouble, usualy not serious but just painful.

We tend to look at the receiver read out and get tunnel vision, fail to look around. Walk into low hanging branches, decks or whatever else is head height. Also walk into the path of moving heavy equipment.

I war my hard hat all the time locating. learned the lesson the hard way, tree breaches, decks. Not safety related but few burglars wear hard hats and safety vests, reduces call to the police by homeowners and neighbors.
    I'm sporting a nice little scab on my temple today from a pointy branch. Didn't see it.

I've never had the police called on me... that I know of. I must be too quick for them. I agree that a hard hat and safety vest will cut down on the suspicion.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Once upon a time I was marking the gas main in along the side property line in a cul de sac. An angry looking lady came marching over towards me and said "Can I help you!" I said "Sure." as I reache toward her with a bundle of flags in my hand "Put one of those flags in the ground on every other paint mark. I would be a great help." She looked at me with shock and astonishment and replied "No, I mean why are you in my yard." I replied "Just doing my job Ma'am."
    She said "How do I know your are not some kind of criminal or something." My reply "With this hard hat and safety vest on? I am not trying to hide or anything. Look on the street, there is my vehicle with flashers on, orange cones out, beacon beaconing, and the company logo and contact information of the side of the door. What kind of criminal would do that." To which she replied " I should call the police." I then handed her my cell phone, and instructed her to dial 911. She said "Nevermind" huffed back into her house and watched me through the window until I was done.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I'm sporting a nice little scab on my temple today from a pointy branch. Didn't see it.

I've never had the police called on me... that I know of. I must be too quick for them. I agree that a hard hat and safety vest will cut down on the suspicion.
    LOL! I have, last time I did a markout in a condo complex @ 5 am! was on the way out and 2 cruisers came flying up the road. I flagged the last one down and asked if they were looking for someone in the condos, he said yes and I explained it was probably me and explained what I was doing. He said that matched what they were dispatched for and took my name and number in case they had any questions. never heard back but about 6 months later I ran into him on a job and he asked if I was still working so early, I told him not in condos and we had a good laugh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12