Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Locator Safety Awareness Week June 23-29

Default Locator Safety Awareness Week June 23-29

What do you all consider the most dangerous hazards that you deal with on a daily basis?
    Plants/insects, defensive driving, distracted driving, dogs/snakes etc, playing in traffic, husbands coming home early etc.? Please share what you consider to be the most hazardous thing you do on a regular basis while on the job, please also share any favorite safety saying.
    Thanks

Years of Experience

Default Re: Locator Safety Awareness Week June 23-29

The most hazardous thing I can think of as a locator is taking things for granted. Safety is something that must be considered actively all the time, not just at work. All of the actions we take have risk. Driving (if not us, then the other guy is distracted), marking in the road (did you put out your cones?, do you only have two cones in the truck?, how do you mark a conduit running down the middle of the traffic lane w/o someone watching your back?), etc....
    Risk management in the form of risk assesment is one of the actions we should all be taking all the time. The only element we have control of is ourselves, so vigilance in the form of keeping all our senses alert is key to early detection of hazards that may be coming our way.
    It is important for all of us to keep this in mind, because it is the only way to give ourselves the best chance of getting home safe and sound. It is more than just a mantra, it must be lived, it must become part of our culture. "Be Safe" should not be words uttered as we say goodbye, it should be stated as a heartfelt warning to our co-workers, and heard as a reminder to think.
    (Sorry about the soapbox.)
    Locator in NY likes this.

Years of Experience

cars flying by me ....not even slowing down a little !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    17 years

Poison Ivy........If you're allergic
    A contractor finding out your home phone number.

Years of Experience

Driving for

Years of Experience

Sorry, driving for hours on end with people who don't pay attention to the road.

Years of Experience

Intersections!!!!!
    You have to have your head on a swivel !
    I must be F#%@ing Daffy!!!

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!!

Definently driving! I do a ton of it and you always have to be aware. Seems like when I get home at night I am more fatigued by the driving than the locating, no matter how big my tickets were that day.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Like everyone, Driving is probably at the top of the list followed by a close 2nd with traffic. I work at an airport and the speed limit is 45 coming into the airport, but i'll be damned if they don't do 60 comming in. So you have people hauling arse and not knowing where they are going so you have dramatic lane changes. You not only have to have your head on a swivel, but you have to be light on your feet.

One of the more recent safety issues we got going on here is oversized manhole lids. The last couple of years we went to a 42" aviation rated lid. They are thicker then regular manhole lids and due to their larger diameter they have added like another 200lbs. I watched a co-worker almost bust a nut trying to remove one the other day. When he finally slid it to the side, he almost toppled over into the manhole.

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

A small thing is our feet, well small for some of use. We lift heavy covers that can slip and fall down on our feet. Also there is often various debris in our work areas, some of it heavy. Plus the ever present nails sticking up from boards.

Wear proper work boots, a heavy leather covering the ankle boot stops many cuts. Steel or composite toes prevent many broken toes. And make sure the sole is not worn thin, a thick sole protects or minimizes puncture wounds from nails.

Years of Experience

A subset of traffic is construction site traffic. Backhoes, trenchers, dozers, you name it where the operator may not notice us and run us over. About ten years ago a construction worker in my area had a leg torn off by a track hoe.

When not moving about the heavy equipment is swiveling on it's base and the buckets or back of machine can impact us hard.

Years of Experience

The locate receiver can walk us right into trouble, usualy not serious but just painful.

We tend to look at the receiver read out and get tunnel vision, fail to look around. Walk into low hanging branches, decks or whatever else is head height. Also walk into the path of moving heavy equipment.

I war my hard hat all the time locating. learned the lesson the hard way, tree breaches, decks. Not safety related but few burglars wear hard hats and safety vests, reduces call to the police by homeowners and neighbors.
    Utilitrack and Locator in NY like this.

Years of Experience

I wear the vest almost always too, and thats one of the biggest reasons! lol I would say traffic and low branches/decks. that and these stupid little versas we are driving now, I hit my head on the hatch at least once a week! lol

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I think the biggest hazard we have is other drivers. Especially when you are walking along the side of the road. I never expect anybody to look out for me. I'm perfectly happy looking out for myself. So, basically, if I get hit by a car I would consider it my fault.

I was in a yard the other day and saw that someone had cut down their bamboo. However, instead of removing it all together they left about 4-6 inch stalks sticking up. Oh and they cut them off at an angle so they literally had about 15-20 pungee sticks just waiting for someone to fall on. I made it out alive.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast