Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Do you ever?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Do you ever?

I dont give depth because I know the first thing that will come out of their mouth is the locator said it was only such and such feet deep. If the contractor is a good guy i tell him. Im not a loud to give you depth but i cant stop you from being a nib shit and looking at my receiver. ive done it for a few contractors and now when they call in tickets they state. call in such and such for detailed information which usually drops my locate in half or nothing at all
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    uhhhhhh i just checked it and (actually it's 3 foot) i think it is maybe 6 inches..........call me back and let me know
    Ha!
    Exactly! when I do give depth, for my regular contractors I've known for years i give an accurate measurement, but for ones I don't know well, I give myself at least a couple maybe 10-18 inch buffer zone, cause you all know how "accurate" those depth measurements are...
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Years of Experience

As a private locator, giving depths will depend on my client and their scope. If it's a homeowner that just wants to know, or a contractor is concerned, I will still give them a 6"-12" range, but it really depends on how I am connected, who I am giving that info to, and if I know they're going to expose it or not. If I'm locating for the gas company who is cross-boring above sewer and water lines and below power & communications, I will be as precise as possible with depth. I haven't run into anyone who wasn't comfortable with a range and I haven't had a problem after a locate. I'm not sure if they will take my depth instead of pot-hole or if they just want to have a better idea of when to expect to see it. I also give the heads up when something weird happens like seeing something shallow.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234