Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Do you ever?

Default Do you ever?

For saftey sake give a contractor a heads up about a "extra" shallow utility? I usually dont but for some reason was in a good mood and decided to help out, and glad I did after finding out the line fed a major medical complex in the area. Probably would have been hit, I know , not my fault but would have sucked for anyone on the "other end".

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If I'm aware of an unusally shallow line I'll call the contractor and give them a heads up.

No such thing as giving any kind of depth. Unless of course it is a cable t co-ax laying on the ground then that's different.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

As a courtesy, I will tell a contractor when I see an unusual depth on my receiver. Recently, I had traffic light cable showing 18", told contractor about it but do not tell them depths; just let them know it is UNUSUALLY shallow.

That may have saved a possible hit at a major intersection. Although, here, it is almost universal, that contractors pothole.

As a courtesy to homeowners, I will caution them when digging around a gas service line that it is VERY, VERY shallow AND that the service line is about the size of one of their fingers, so hitting one (P.E. gas service lines especially) could cause a leak.

H/Owners, I find, believe all utilities are deep and almost all are surprised to find some are REALLY shallow.

Never tell them depths, but, telling them it is really shallow gets the same message across without putting the company I work for at risk.
    Last edited by underground quester; May 21st, 2008 at 06:33 PM.

Years of Experience

i agree.........courtesy call goes along way ....it has helped me out more times than i can count...
    Mark likes this.

Why do that? Add some suspense and excitement to their lives - especially little old ladies putting in a flower bed! They think every line is an electric line anyway. And if you tell them it's shallow then they will start bitching to you likes it's your job tp lower the damn thing. No, it's better to let homeowners find things out on their own.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Depends on the contractor and if I like them or not

Years of Experience

It all depends on the situation and the contractor. I'll never give an actual depth but if it's a crew that has helped me in the past I'll help them by warning them that the line "may be" very shallow. If it's a crew that has messed with me in the past I'll make sure it's marked exactly right and take tons of pictures and then wait for the damage page.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    It all depends on the situation and the contractor. I'll never give an actual depth but if it's a crew that has helped me in the past I'll help them by warning them that the line "may be" very shallow. If it's a crew that has messed with me in the past I'll make sure it's marked exactly right and take tons of pictures and then wait for the damage page.

Okaaay Goldenboy, remind me never to pee in your cereal...

I do hear you. Some of my contractors are pretty high on my PITA list, so I do not cut them too much slack.

Some, I will bend over backwards for. Friday, had a spare hour and a half first thing in the morning and a contractor REALLY, REALLY needed a favor. So, I had him get a ticket number from first call and completed it on the spot.

He walked over to his truck and came back with a really nice gortex jacket (with his logo on it of course) fire resistant with retro-reflective stripe on it. Best graft I have ever received.

Then we both went into a mutual thank you fest...
    Last edited by underground quester; May 22nd, 2008 at 09:31 PM.

Years of Experience

I use to look out but after being stared in the face an bold faced lied to I just do my job and make them do thiers when it comes down to a damage noone but you will take up for you when it involves money

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Amen TBONE...your company sure as heck wont look out for you on any level....they just want to "burn" you....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    I use to look out but after being stared in the face an bold faced lied to I just do my job and make them do thiers when it comes down to a damage noone but you will take up for you when it involves money

TBONE

I can't argue with that logic. When a hit happens, S**T happens.
    Everyone seems to duck for cover and the last one with Johnson out gets to pay the bill.

So many times I have seen our company have to eat the bill for reasons I do not understand. A little more root cause analysis and plain logic would be nice at times.

Years of Experience

Knowledge is power! I give depths to everyone and anyone. I have never been burned............
    Mark likes this.

I will only give out depth to contractors who have helped me in the past. Mostly utility contractors.
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Knowledge is power! I give depths to everyone and anyone. I have never been burned............
    I would possibly do it for a few; if I had equipment that had been recalibrated once in a while. I have yet to see any equipment that has been recalibrated in the past 5 years.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast