Thread: Blasts

Exclamation Blasts

We are all worried about our families safety. Here is another that we need to be aware of. I know in my own home this past weekend we had a similar situation where we returned home to find that the knob on the stove had been turned on just enough to let the gas leak out and the house just stunck to high heaven.

Just a reminder to us all at work or at home if you smell gas your in the wrong place.

BE SAFE, YOUR FAMILY IS COUNTING ON YOU.

Woman survives blast probably started by TV remote
    Buzz Up Send
    Email IM Share
    Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print Wed Oct 22, 4:57 pm ETBILLINGS, Mo. Authorities in southwest Missouri say a TV remote control probably triggered an explosion that destroyed a Christian County home on Tuesday morning.

The only person in the home at the time, Cindy Curry, 66, was blown outside but had only minor injuries. Firefighters said it's amazing she survived at all.

Curry's husband, Jerry, said he smelled propane gas in the 10-year-old house late Monday. But the smell was gone Tuesday morning, so he went out to have breakfast with friends.

His wife then turned on the TV, and Billings Fire Chief Henry Bos said it appears the remote control ignited propane still in the house.

The couple lost two of their dogs and a bird.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Blasts

gas is very serious.... it should not be taken lightly.....the nose knows....don't take a chance....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    gas is very serious.... it should not be taken lightly.....the nose knows....don't take a chance....
    nose...what nose????? All you have are eyeholes.

I've seen 6 house explosions personally in the years I've located (none from locating causes). It's a fricken horrible thing.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

i guess i should have been more specific....... if you smell gas get help !!!!!! do not try to figure anything out??????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Company is now suspecting leaking natural gas line leak

The Canadian Press reported that four workers who were described as being "seriously injured" after the blast at AT Plastics were out of hospital Friday evening.

Five other workers received less serious injuries earlier in the day.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing a flash, then clouds of thick black smoke after the blast occurred near the city's Refinery Row, around 7:40 a.m. Mountain Time.

According to reports, the blast occurred and could be felt up to 20 kilometres away. (About 12 miles)

Terry Akranis, a truck driver who was at the plant picking up a load at the time, told CTV Edmonton it sounded like someone detonated "a big bomb or dynamite."

"I was halfway through the gate when the explosion happened," he said. "First thing I did was close my window and crawl down onto the floor."

Company officials tell CTV News the area was being fire-proofed at the time of the explosion.

Firefighters were on the scene battling the blaze as of Friday morning. Booth said they were letting the flames burn off leaking gas as a safety precaution to prevent a second explosion.

About three hours after the first blast, crews continued to hose down a silo and holding tank where the explosion happened.

Hazardous materials officials are at the scene of the blast, where there are some concerns the peroxide could be harmful if it enters the water system.

Michael Stubblefield, AT Plastics general manager, said they are ensuring the liquid remains contained.

"It's extremely rare," he said of the explosion. "We'll do a very thorough investigation to understand exactly what has happened here today and will do everything possible and necessary to put in place measures to address whatever caused the incident."

The Celanese Corporation, parent company of AT Plastics, issued a statement three hours after the blast that said all raw material and energy sources have been contained.

"This incident poses no threat to the surrounding area and there should be no concern to the community and residents," the release stated.

Traffic is being diverted away from the plant until the risk is eliminated and two nearby schools were locked down after the school board issued an environmental alert.

With files from The Canadian Press
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

Most people run away from gas leaks and we(as locators) drive as fast as we can to get to a gas leak. I guess no one ever said we were overly smart.