Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black dog Yellow face!

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Default Black dog Yellow face!

Okay, so this morning I am locating 5 houses as one of them is getting a phone drop. So have to locate everything between the telephone ped and the house the drop is going to.

I walk up the side of one of the houses...no fence nothing and a dog comes racing off the front porch. He's barking and growling within a yard of me. Scared the crap out of me (figuratively...not literally).
    I yelled at him a few times to go lay down but he just barked louder and growled more.

He WAS a pure black dog.
    Now, however, he is a black dog with a yellow face!

So the owner came out to get his dog and saw the yellow face. Called me a few choice words and told me he was calling my boss.

Went into the office later in the day, people are giving me givin me the razz about giving dogs free dye jobs out in the community. And I just told them there was no way that dog was getting any choice part of my rump roast!

My boss phoned me later and said I heard you had a run in with a dog. I told him the story and he said, yep, that's about what I would have done!

Nice to get support!

Moral of the story: Dogs are sneaky Bas***ds.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Default Re: Black dog Yellow face!

Do you have Leash Laws there? Take a picture and show it to the Dog Catcher?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

There are leash laws out by me but I rarely ever see a dog on a leash. I haven't been bit by a dog yet. I know it will eventually happen but I try my best to avoid being bit.

I hate the stupid doggy doors on the back of houses. I'll have a ticket at a residential house and the lot is all fenced in. I always knock on the front door before entering a fence. If no one answers I just go and give the fence a good shake and let out a whistle. If I hear no dogs I let myself in. Then while locating a damn dog will let itself out through the doggy door.

I always leave the gates open when I'm in a fenced in back yard. I always give myself an out. I have had a few dogs chase me out the gate and then just run away. I then go back to locating and hope that the dog doesn't return. The homeowners are probably confused when they get home and their dog is missing.

Years of Experience

next time he says he is going to call the boss .........please give him my phone number.......... i hate it for the dog..........i would have did the same thing on impulse to save myself.if that makes you feel any better....

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Do you have Leash Laws there? Take a picture and show it to the Dog Catcher?
    Yes we do. But the dog was on a 20 foot leash and caught me by surprise just beside his front deck.

Why the heck can't the owner tie the damned thing up in the back yard. How does the mail man, meter reader get by the dog?

The power and gas meters were just on the side of the house next to the porch, so he could have gotten some rump roast had he been quicker.
    Sneaky little bugger!

Years of Experience
    30+

Cool Re: Black dog Yellow face!

I hate to say it, But you have to do what you have to do. If he comes at you you have two choices. 1. Be a great animal lover 2. Defend yourself.

Years of Experience

I've heard from some locators that they keep milkbones and other dog snacks in their trucks for those types of situations. I'm not a dog lover, so I don't go that route. If a dog is out, regardless of it's size, I ask the homeowner to bring it in. I've had the most friendly dog turn wannabe ass biter once it hears some of the noises my equipment makes.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Famous last words: "oh, he won't bite'''"

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    I've heard from some locators that they keep milkbones and other dog snacks in their trucks for those types of situations. I'm not a dog lover, so I don't go that route. If a dog is out, regardless of it's size, I ask the homeowner to bring it in. I've had the most friendly dog turn wannabe ass biter once it hears some of the noises my equipment makes.

I have the same experience with turning on locating equipment. Some dogs yap their face off. Others don't even give it a second look. Wonder if thats got anything to do with whether I am on high or low frequency? Probably not.

Years of Experience

Had a locator buddy last dig season go to mark a backyard for a homeowner. The backyard was fenced and a dog was out, so the locator asked the homeowner to bring the dog in. Rather than just do so, she simply opened the gate and told the locator it'd be okay as the dog was friendly (and she was now outside with it). Well, he wasn't three steps into the backyard and that friendly dog lashed out and bit him on the thigh, ripping his pants and getting into his skin a little. He had some choice words for the homeowner and then went out to his truck and called the police. As the police were on their way the homeowner's husband came out and tried to bribe my buddy with cash in cooperation for his not calling the police, but by then it was too late. The police came and he filed charges. Just goes to show that any dog can turn on you.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Long story short.... Had a run in with 3 boxers. All belonged to a neighboring house. I was marking a phone line in a fenced in back yard, but there was no fence between them. A few teenagers thought it would be funny to have the dogs scare me. Instead the dogs attacked me. I spent about 45 seconds fending them off as best as I could. I had my shirt almost completely ripped off, and my jeans now looked like chaps (the only funny thing about this). I have a nail sticking from the bottom of my paint stick, and as a last resort started stabbing at the dogs. Unfortunately for one of the dogs, I stabbed it in the head, killing it, then another grabbed the stick, and pretty much destroyed it. I hit that dog upside the head with my receiver. After that, the stunned teens came over to get the dogs, but the 3rd one bit one of them. The neighbor behind them thankfully had a beebee gun, and shot the 3rd one in the backside. And that pretty much ended that.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    Long story short.... Had a run in with 3 boxers. All belonged to a neighboring house. I was marking a phone line in a fenced in back yard, but there was no fence between them. A few teenagers thought it would be funny to have the dogs scare me. Instead the dogs attacked me. I spent about 45 seconds fending them off as best as I could. I had my shirt almost completely ripped off, and my jeans now looked like chaps (the only funny thing about this). I have a nail sticking from the bottom of my paint stick, and as a last resort started stabbing at the dogs. Unfortunately for one of the dogs, I stabbed it in the head, killing it, then another grabbed the stick, and pretty much destroyed it. I hit that dog upside the head with my receiver. After that, the stunned teens came over to get the dogs, but the 3rd one bit one of them. The neighbor behind them thankfully had a beebee gun, and shot the 3rd one in the backside. And that pretty much ended that.

Holy smokes dude! That would have scared the crap out of me!
    My encounter seems pretty tame compared to you.

My boss phoned me today, the homeowner whose dog I sprayed is thinking of
    going for an "animal cruelty" charge. Where's the eyes rolling smiley when you need him?

i keep doggy bones in my truck, they have worked several times. i had a dog actually chained to the gas meter at one locate (ghetto part of town) the home owner wasnt home...or passed out and didnt hear my knocks, so i grabbed his hose and turned the water on, this dog did not like that water and i was able to keep him far enough away with it to hook up.

My dog stories dont compare to those but all i got to say is i hear/see dog no locate unless homeowner puts them up. The best part of it is asking them to put up the dog outside n when the h.o. opens the door they let the dogs inside comeout at you.

...i hate the doggy doors that people put on the back doors of their porch\deck. everything looks good to go from outside the fence, but as soon as you hook up and make some noise...the barks get louder and louder until you hear/see them flying through that darn rubber flap you couldnt see from outside the fence...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast