Thread: Bees, Wasps, Hornets.............

Years of Experience

Default Bees, Wasps, Hornets.............

I have been stung by all of the above and have never reacted........until Sunday. I was out playing golf and sliced one under the pine trees and while looking for my ball I was stung on my ear. It felt like someone was trying to cut it off with a butter knife. I looked up and saw a paper wasp nest the size of a basketball. Had I not been stung, I would have hit it with my swing. To shorten this a bit, I ended up in the ER on O2, getting pumped full of drugs and hating life for about 8 hours. I now have a bee-sting kit for my work and personal trucks and suggest that it would be a good addition for all in their work vehicles regardless of any past exposure. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been close to a hospital. On a lighter note, I looked like the white version of Will Smith in the movie "Hitch".
    "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip someone the bird"

Hey.........pull my finger!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Bees, Wasps, Hornets.............

LOL... sorry Bubba.. but that last part of your post made me laugh! Sorry about your now allergies to stings. I have an epi pen also, but it is for something else... that is the weirdest feeling ever to have your throat close up!

Years of Experience

I have never been allergic so I never really thought about it. Can you just get an epi pen over the counter or do you need to see a doctor to get one.

Years of Experience

Epi pens are prescription only, check with your doc to see if they would be willing to write for one.
    "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip someone the bird"

Hey.........pull my finger!!!!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

well if you would have been locating utilities while on the clock and not playing golf this would not have happened.......hahahhahahhahhaehhehehehheheheh just kidding dude...hope you feel better.....i'm not a fan of golf by the way......hahah
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

...I find punching at them makes them leave me alone...I've never been stung...At first I'll jump a few feet away and spray some paint in their general direction, if they're all over I take off running...If it's just one I'll punch at it until it leaves me alone...Which is strange, because everyone who has experience says motion will get you stung...

Also take into consideration I use insect repellent along with sunscreen daily. Maybe the combination of the above two has something to do with it.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    ...I find punching at them makes them leave me alone.
    Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee?

We carry cans of wasp/hornet killer spray in the trucks, in case you have to carpet bomb a site.. but that doesnt help much once you get stung.

Ive been stung < 1/yr on average, but lately its been about once per yr.. and this yr I got stung 3 times.. not sure if theyre getting more aggressive or what. The last 2 stings have me wondering though.. usually when i get a sting, its the typical small welt and in a day or so its gone. Not the last 2 (on my left arm).. they both left the same welt, but large red area maybe 6" diameter that lasted for maybe just under a week. Ive heard you can slowly build up to a allergic reaction (like the OP).

One sidenote that might be handy for someone.. I had a medium size wasp nest under the bow of my runabout one year. I waited till night and put a 100w trouble light and pushed it under there as close as I dared. Started spraying wasp killer, but because of where the hole for the nest was, plus me standing on a ladder bending over the side to shoot up and under the covered bow, I didnt get much nest hit.. they all came out pretty mad. Odd thing was, they all attacked the light bulb. I didnt spray the light bulb (now that mighta been funny.. <pop> complete darkness and lots of mad wasps !), they pretty much all suicided on the bulb. I got the few that were crawling around on the floor with the spray.
    (May you live in interesting times)

first reaction when i see less than 3, is to just backup with the paint rifle pointed where you heard em. i never get stung becaue ialways duck my head real quicklike when i hear them coming. thats when i back up with the rifle. blasting orange paint all over their wings, hopefully. When I find one just hanging around, I orange it's ass up like Slice Soda. **** em, I hate those aggressive bugs. Same with black widows, I'm no buddhist, when I see a black widow I go back to my truck, and come out looking like the orkin man, dual wielding industrial pesticide, dropping a nuclear bomb on their web hiroshima style.

I actually forgot that I got stung one time. It didn't even hurt though, I honestly just thought it was poison ivy or something...i have a strange tolerance for pain.......it was on m y calf

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I have been stung by all of the above and have never reacted........until Sunday. I was out playing golf and sliced one under the pine trees and while looking for my ball I was stung on my ear. It felt like someone was trying to cut it off with a butter knife. I looked up and saw a paper wasp nest the size of a basketball. Had I not been stung, I would have hit it with my swing. To shorten this a bit, I ended up in the ER on O2, getting pumped full of drugs and hating life for about 8 hours. I now have a bee-sting kit for my work and personal trucks and suggest that it would be a good addition for all in their work vehicles regardless of any past exposure. I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't been close to a hospital. On a lighter note, I looked like the white version of Will Smith in the movie "Hitch".

jesus christ. you have to have an allergic reaction to them , or etc. im oldschool...eat a centrum after breakfast and dinner,exercise,eat (somewhat) right, and everything works itself out...when I got stung it honestly didnt do anything to me. Sucks to get stung on the ear though.

Anyone ever seen that flick Election where M. Broderick is trying to bang that mom and he gets stung on the eyelid by a bee. Hilarious shit. I love that movie.

Years of Experience

scap ...don't see you ever getting into the safety dept..... hahahhahahahahahaah
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I opened a service box at a house a few weeks ago and I shit you not, there was at least 20 wasps in there. None flew out. I just closed it and painted WASPS with an arrow pointing towards the service box in case anyone else paid the place a visit. I had to goto the ped to locate the guy's service line. It was one of those larger AT&T residential telephone service boxes that you have to unscrew. Man I opened up the first part (Not the small one on the left, just the first part) and they were just everywhere. Scared the **** out of me, I slammed it shut and took off running. ;p

Years of Experience

scap i'm starting to think we are the only ones that deal with wasps in every other ped......?????? i get so spooked when a single bug jumps out the grass when i get close to a ped now....hahhahahahhahah take off running like a madman.....

Is it because the ped is lifted up (not set to grade), or because the vent slits arent covered with a screen ?

Are those 'killer-bees' across into LA yet ? Maybe a ped is too small a space for a good collection of them.. nasty stuff anyhow, glad I live up in the cold where the killer bee's fear to tread !!
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

nah.....just bad peds...this is on a rural route...i only see a few screened vented peds...yes killer bees have been found here very close to us......