Thread: Wildlife

Years of Experience

Default Wildlife

We all see alot of wildlife while locating. Here is what I saw yesterday right in front of me.

Default Re: Wildlife

Good to know we didn't shoot them all this year.

Years of Experience

come here bambi.....a little closer...... I smell deer sausage!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

what is all that white stuff on the ground??????? is that snow ....wow havent seen that for years ..hahahahaha gotta love the south yes im rubbing it in too ...its all good you know we have to have something to be proud of

Years of Experience

I think ants are taking over Wisconsin. After locating out the tv I knelt down to unbond the phone and had a million ants crawling on me.

Now that is to funny GB. Where was that at?
    GOD BLESS THE USA & the Damage Prevention Techs that are the heartbeat of the Utility industry.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    OPINIONS ARE LIKE A-HOLES EVERYONE HAS ONE.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I don't mind the ants, it's bees, wasps, hornets and black widow spiders.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by professionallocator View Post
    i don't mind the ants, it's bees, wasps, hornets and black widow spiders.
    oh my!!!
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I don't mind the ants, it's bees, wasps, hornets and black widow spiders.
    Yeah, except when they are Fire Ants - they will get your attention! They especially like pedestals and the edges of handholes and manholes.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Just hook your red lead on the black-n-yellow tracer wire.

Years of Experience

A few years ago, 2 of my guys were doing a locate for a pipeline job. It involved running a pipeline from a new wellsite (where a well is drilled) to a plantsite (where the product is processed and sent to market). The line paralleled another line 20-25' away for a couple of miles, so we locate the entire line (looking for expansion loops or R/W deviations) marking it about every 60'. One guy went to work on the line and the other guy went to work on the plantsite where it ties into. After a good part of the day, the guy who was walking ran out of lath and was walking back to the plant along a road. As he walks over the crest of a hill, the other guy at the plant hadn't heard from him so he called him on the radio. As he answered it, a full grown male Grizzly, feeding in the ditch, lifted his head and made his presence known. My guy was in the middle of the road and the bear was 20' away in the ditch eating a gut pile from a moose that hunters had killed the day before. My guy stayed cool and kept moving with purpose, not running, but certainly briskly.

He was pumped-up when he got back to the truck, so they packed up all their stuff and went to have a look on their way home. Sure enough, it was there. The next morning they returned to finish the job and this time had their camera. Sure enough, the giant bear was there again having his morning feast. They informed the oil company and completed their job (together, not separate), but considered themselves pretty lucky and had a hell of a tale to tell.

2 interesting side notes:
    1) With all of the oil and gas activity up here, the bears are adapting. In the past, a loud noise (gunshot or the equally loud 'bear scare') would drive away bears. Nowadays, they know a gunshot means an animal has been killed and they'll be food to scavenge. Sometimes, they actually head towards the noise.
    2) Human nature. Over the years, the story has evolved that the bear stood up on his hind legs with a mosse spine hanging out of its mouth. That it was aggressive and menacing. I heard the story within a couple of hours of it all happening and that's not what they told me. It's a good enough story without the embellishment.

I'll see if there are pix still kickin' around...

I need to locate up by linerider. That is my kind of locating. No city slickers' bitchin' to get off their property. Love the story LR...

Years of Experience

We do very little municipal work and certainly the majority is in the bush. We do, however, deal with farmers/ranchers all the time and they can be pretty jumpy when you're on their land. My brother had a guy pointing a rifle at him once.

As a rule, its pretty peaceful not having to deal with traffic and crazies. We always work in pairs as you'd hate to get hurt with nobody around to help.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I havn't had a Rifle pointed at me......but I did have a tweaker point a squirt gun painted black at me. When I started to giggle like a school girl he told me that it was "Real". So I pointed out where the paint started to flake off and the bright orange started to show through and he told me to "Go F' my self".

Go figure
    Mke