Thread: Typical Friday emergency!

Default Typical Friday emergency!

Well, not so typical. A steam line ruptured during maintenance yesterday morning and its asbestos fiber insulation went a flyin'... here's a shot of the crew working on cleaning the asbestos off of the buildings, note the tarps and tape covering the plants. The guys on the lifts were hosing the trees down.

imag0747.jpg

Me and another tech broke in a trainee here, took us over three hours. The trackhoe operator was very unhappy to see the results of our locate.

2012-04-06_15-50-47_hdr.jpg

Yep... there are actually that many conduits, they are legitimately that wide, and that's not even half of what we located. The telecom ran directly over the steam line and they are going to have to suspend the conduits and dig underneath them to work on the steam line. Yikes! See how close it gets here (steam line is obviously under the big holes in the street, as are three big duct packages.)

imag0746.jpg

Here's some news coverage of the situation: http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/314...ntown-St-Louis
    Last edited by threephase; April 7th, 2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add link

Years of Experience

Default Re: Typical Friday emergency!

You do realize that if that is indeed asbestos, and I am certain it is, you didn't have to do jack out there? And if you did, you're most likely covered in it? It's a known carcinogen, and working around it without proper PPE and training is a safety crapshoot. If you or your coworkers have kids, I'd dispose of those clothes and anything else that were contaminated before I bring it in the house.

I actually researched this quite heavily before stepping into the locate zone. Let's put it this way, the EPA was on site and I didn't enter the area until they said it was safe. It took over 24 hours before they even called in the emergency. Now, how safe is EPA's "safe?".... probably not safe enough! I kept all the clothes from that job outside the front door until I washed it several times to be safe. I get these jobs a lot. A few years back I had a job to locate for 25' deep of "radioactive soil" to be dug up and hauled out of a site. I refused that job and told the crew that I would rather get a damage than step in there.

Years of Experience

I wish I could have seen that excavators face after you finished painting THAT!....I bet it was priceless!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

The backhoe operator looked like he wanted to cry. He just mumbled under his breath "what am I going to do..." I actually felt really bad for him. They ended up suspending all of the duct packages with cables and digging another 15 feet down to the steam pipe. Sometimes I wonder who plans these utility layouts.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Holy shit that looks like a nasty locate for sure. Can't believe there are that many conduits that wide next to each other. Maybe I'm just spoiled. My entire area only has 1 duct bank and it only has 1 cable in the system.

I bet we get paid the same too.

Love ya, bro!
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng