Thread: Sending a Message to a Local Bureaucrat!

Years of Experience

Default Sending a Message to a Local Bureaucrat!

A city councilman in Utah, Mark Easton, had a beautiful view of the east mountains, until a new neighbor purchased the lot below his house and built a new home. The new home was 18 inches higher than the ordinances would allow, so Mark Easton, mad about his lost view, went to the city to make sure they enforced the lower roof line ordinance.

The new neighbor had to drop the roof line, at great expense.

Recently, Mark Easton called the city, and informed them that his new neighbor had installed some vents on the side of his home. Mark didn’t like the look of these vents and asked the city to investigate.

When they went to Mark’s home to see what the vents looked like, this is what they found…

The City Council said the vents can stay since there is no ordinances referring to shutter design.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default Re: Sending a Message to a Local Bureaucrat!

Fantastic! And if I was the neighbor, I would study the ordinances and complain about this ass-hole every time I even thought he might be in violation.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Fantastic! And if I was the neighbor, I would study the ordinances and complain about this ass-hole every time I even thought he might be in violation.
    Houses go up with building permits that need be granted. If the house was approved with that roof line height I would sue the city for damages. The damages would be for the actual costs plus if the attic area was designed to be converted into living space, and the resultant lower roof line prevented this, I would sue for loss of value.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

This reminds me of a story from my neck of the woods.

Guy buys a hotel on the Oregon Coast, the previous owner added a new floor to the building (legally). The new owner bought the place and wanted to open it up as a Hotel and tavern like it has always been. Because it Obstructed the View of a few people up on the hill, some of wich were lawyers and people with Money and spare time, they decided to Boycott the establishment. Actively pickett at times to drive away customers.

So what did this new owner do after trying to work with this small community failed? .................... wait for it..............

He turned it into a Strip club / Hotel, to piss of the locals.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...eanside19.html

The true american dream.

Mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    This reminds me of a story from my neck of the woods.

Guy buys a hotel on the Oregon Coast, the previous owner added a new floor to the building (legally). The new owner bought the place and wanted to open it up as a Hotel and tavern like it has always been. Because it Obstructed the View of a few people up on the hill, some of wich were lawyers and people with Money and spare time, they decided to Boycott the establishment. Actively pickett at times to drive away customers.

So what did this new owner do after trying to work with this small community failed? .................... wait for it..............

He turned it into a Strip club / Hotel, to piss of the locals.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...eanside19.html

The true american dream.

Mke
    Reminds me of something that happened years ago. A man owned a small strip of land, just a couple of acres. He filed to clear the land for development. Some locals petitioned to deny the permit to either clear the land or for the commercial use. They said the trees were important to the environment and blocked an unpleasant view of a military airfield. You would think that they new about the airfield, which had been there since WWII, when they moved in.

So they got the guys permits denied.

The guy did a little research and no permit was required to trim an existing tree. He cut every branch off of every tree till it looked like a field of telephone poles. Of course the trees all died but no permit was required. After that the objections became a moot point and he got his permits.

Not quiet the same but similar was the owner of a house. He did some painting and changes to the appearance to his house. The Homeowners Association demanded that he return the house to the original appearance as he had not filed with them for a variance. He just ignored them. So the sued him.

He went to court and the HOA being the plaintiff made it's case first. After they presented all their evidence he stood up and presented the Plat of Subdivision. His house was not in their subdivision and not subject to their rules.

What had happened was the development was in two phases. After the first phase was completed there was a recession and the builder did not start phase two until years later. During the period between phase one and two the builder sold off 4 lots, now between the two phases of the subdivision, to raise money and these lots were not recorded as being in either subdivision so they had no HOA.

You gotta love it when self righteous people get their asses on their should and then get said ass knocked off.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I love these kinds of stories. This is what makes America great.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I love these kinds of stories. This is what makes America great.
    Then here is one of my for real favorites.

I was at a job many years ago, it was a combination liqueur store/ bar/ restaurant. The owner wanted to build an addition so that his cold storage was larger. The county denied his permit saying he could not take area needed for parking.

So he had a semi rig back a refrigerated trailer to his loading dock door. He put rubber skirts between the trailer and the building to seal the entrance and ran a electric line to power the refrigeration unit. The electric was not hard wired to his building but to a heavy duty outlet and the rubber skirts were not attached at the trailer.

So when the inspector complained he explained that he was allowed to park the trailer he now owned on his lot for a long as he wished. End of that story.