Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint happy

Default Re: Paint happy

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I just don't understand why you'd have to go all paint crazy just because you can't figure out what they needed marked. You have to remember the majority of the time the one call center is the one that typed "mark entire lot".

And last time I checked we are paid by the hour. Who cares if your marking the entire lot for a basketball hoop.

Just paint the yard as if it was your own.
    Golden, I agree about the over painting, but if it says to mark the entire lot, you either mark the entire lot or get a signed Meetsheet stating otherwise here at SM&P/USIC/CLS. Marking less than what the ticket calls for is a big no-no now
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Golden, I agree about the over painting, but if it says to mark the entire lot, you either mark the entire lot or get a signed Meetsheet stating otherwise here at SM&P/USIC/CLS. Marking less than what the ticket calls for is a big no-no now

We have the same issue here. If it says mark the whole lot, we mark the whole lot UNLESS I find someone home and they tell me otherwise. Then I make a note on the ticket and have them sign it. If no one is home, well, I mark the entire lot.

We spray grass and dirt only. No plants, pavers, customer walks, mulch, nothing UNLESS the customer is available and tells me otherwise. If they tell me to go ahead and spray the walk, etc. I usually put small dots in the crevices, or on a weed growing in a walk, something like that.

I flag mulch, decorative stone, etc. only and usually try to take measurements off something fixed.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

i did mark my yard when i first started, i got in so much trouble due to the paint stick with the stuck trigger n that wasnt a gr8 night for me. haha

Years of Experience

i love this job but got to hate when the trigger sticks.......what do i want to be when i grow up.......................

Years of Experience
    30+

Cool Re: Paint happy

The only job that you can paint graffiti legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I just don't understand why you'd have to go all paint crazy just because you can't figure out what they needed marked. You have to remember the majority of the time the one call center is the one that typed "mark entire lot".

And last time I checked we are paid by the hour. Who cares if your marking the entire lot for a basketball hoop.

Just paint the yard as if it was your own.

Yeah, I'm paid by the hour. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of leisurely staking entire lots all day long. It's easy to stake entire lots when you work an urban area with small lots and "logical" utilities...try staking nothing but enormous ($1,000,000+) multi-acre estates all day long. I'm not exaggerating. A "stake entire lot" on that job, 4-way ticket, you're looking at close to an hour, regardless of what an efficient locator you may be. Add more time if it's on a road that serves as a thoroughfare for multiple buried cables or fiber runs.

I'm not complaining about the area I work, but there is clearly a huge time difference between "stake 10' radius of driveway" and "stake entire lot". Who takes the damage when the homeowner decides to lay down an entire basketball court instead of just installing a hoop at the top of the driveway?

It's not that I "can't figure out" what needs to be staked. Sometimes, there is no one to contact regarding the job, be it the contractor, the homeowner, or anyone else who might be in the know. If all your contacts always answer the door/phone, more power to you.

I'll "paint the lot as if it's [my] own" when it IS my own. Until then, I've got 25 more tickets to get to today.

Something I hate to see are marks on a straight utility that are crooked! If the line is straight mark it out like this - - - - not like this / / / / !!!!! Pisses me off to see that. Its just lazy and confusing to the contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by AUPS View Post
    Something I hate to see are marks on a straight utility that are crooked! If the line is straight mark it out like this - - - - not like this / / / / !!!!! Pisses me off to see that. Its just lazy and confusing to the contractor.
    May be that some of us are less anal than others
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Looks like a simple case of paintstick trigger sticking and a locator not paying attention(darn mp3 players)LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12