Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint happy

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Paint happy

I saw this today and it just rubbed me the wrong way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  

Years of Experience

I'm guessing a newbie. I don't know why it takes so long for locators to realize to paint the yard as if it was your own. Red paint lasts forever, who wants to have that on their landscape timbers and patio block.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

My boss hates it as well.

When he gets a complaint, he sends the individual back with a cleaning agent and a brush and has them clean it up. Usually only takes once and they learn quick.

Years of Experience

that aggravated me as well.....locaters out there ..please take a long look at this .....this is insulting this is not the type of work that we do... i hope maybe his gun got stuck...b.c he's still using a state issue spray gun like mine....at least the locater could 've turned the rock over .......

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

So, today i'm an a back yard with the HO talking about the ticket (excavator called in the wrong yard) and i look down and see that the phone locator has been there and marked the yard. He put a stripe of paint on top of some plants. They looked to me like some kind of herbs or something like that. I pointed to it and said to the HO that I didn't like that. He said he didn't either and his wife had just planted them.

I don't know what people are thinking about. Same general area as the picture above.

Maybe the ticket was for putting in a basketball goal and they asked for the entire property to be marked?

Years of Experience
    30+

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Maybe the ticket was for putting in a basketball goal and they asked for the entire property to be marked?
    I can understand that. If someone said to mark all of property that is what they would get.

I usually respect the landscaping unless they ask me to paint it. The I over paint it. If the home owner is an ass, then I use a couple extra cans on their yard so they can enjoy the colors all year long.
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Years of Experience

What a slop job I would be ashamed of that if it was one of mine

Wonder what Company that was from. I can not stand to see people disrespect someones property. All that does is give us a bad name. All you new locators out there do NOT DO THIS!!!!

when i was in locating class they told us to paint everything we come across to make sure that the company knew we were there they said driveways, mulch,plants, tv peds, fiber cans, transformers,fences, the conduit on the side of the homes, they said you can never have enough paint! but when it comes to nice h.o. i normally flag n little paint but if a real f-n-a-hole comes out they remember the locate! dont f with the locater!

I'm a fairly new locator, and I must say that I'm pretty "paint happy." Even in the swank neighborhoods, I always get a couple of inches of paint on the edges of the driveway, because it's guaranteed the homeowner is going to call in the same landscapers year after year to make their dreams come true. And, of course, it will be "STAKE ENTIRE LOT" every time; the usual landscaper laziness. If the people you hire insist on abusing the system, then I will abuse your driveway.

That said, I try to never paint anything that will not clean up in a few weeks. I avoid rocks, stepping stones, anything of that nature. Wood chips are fair game, but I'll usually do dots & flags instead of lines. I'll dot driveways if I think there might be boring going on, i.e., irrigation system or CATV/phone drop going in.

Public roads & easements are fair game as far as I'm concerned. I'll definitely leave "hard marks" on curbs, especially in older neighborhoods with lots of crossings. It's only a matter of time before you come back, and that little reminder can help you out. Can't tell you how many times I've silently thanked another locator for leaving a mark that made me think twice and locate something that doesn't appear on the prints.

I'll paint a ped if it's hidden in the woods. I'll also paint bushes or plants if the homeowner insists on planting large, hostile (thorny or very thick) plants around the transformers/peds. Again, you make life difficult for me, I'm going to do my job in a way that may annoy you without breaking any rules.

Default Re: Paint happy

I personally take pride in a good looking job and that just is ugly!!! Makes us look like we have no idea what we are doing. I have also never puposefully painted someones landscape out of anger, no matter how pissed I got! I get paid by the hour and if someone wants the entire lot for a b-ball hoop, well.......im going to mark it out ,or politly ask if they really "need" the whole lot marked. Fighting with paint is for weaklings

Years of Experience
    30+

Talking Re: Paint happy

I tend to agree with Duke. If someone is calling in the whole lot and you cannot determine where the dig is, then by all means if in dought, mark it out. No pavers, painted driveways, decrtive stones. Grass, mulch small plants are fair game.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Paint happy

I just don't understand why you'd have to go all paint crazy just because you can't figure out what they needed marked. You have to remember the majority of the time the one call center is the one that typed "mark entire lot".

And last time I checked we are paid by the hour. Who cares if your marking the entire lot for a basketball hoop.

Just paint the yard as if it was your own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast