Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Most congested area photos.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Most congested area photos.

5000....How long have they been buring gas joint with other utilities in your area? In my area that is a new thing and it really seems goofy to me to put something that faults out and gets really hot with something that can go boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    5000....How long have they been buring gas joint with other utilities in your area? In my area that is a new thing and it really seems goofy to me to put something that faults out and gets really hot with something that can go boom.
    bout 3 years in mine Golden. top to bottom is phone, catv, power, gas. Only see it in subdivisions. Makes locating real easy when doing road frontage.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Gas and electric are almost always buried joint trench out here...it's the same company. I'm unsure if they're buried at the same depth, but in neighborhoods, and sometimes street frontage they're usually very close, and if you find a great deal of separation it means you're bleeding off, or they were buried different years...

As far as the other utilities, sometimes I think they just open a trench and throw whatever in the trench. Some areas, I find the catv feeders 4 feet from the rest of the stuff, other times it's right on top of everything else.

Years of Experience

Don't count on joint trench to always be the same. I've seen gas mains 5 feet back of the electric. If you get a signal that seems too wide from other facilities, don't bet on it being wrong all the t, ime.

By the way, I've seen installation differ from block to block, and even lot to lot. Don't bet your job or a damage on being able to strpe the lot without hooking up. CYA.

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    Don't count on joint trench to always be the same. Don't bet your job or a damage on being able to strpe the lot without hooking up.
    I never have and never will, just sharing my observations. I can safely say that 90% of my area is joint trench, but that doesn't mean I'm going to blow through a locate without hooking up to all of the utilities. I know of others in my group that have assumed and straight-lined, only to get something cut. They usually learn really quick after that. Every area is different...

TMO
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Locator5000 View Post
    Gas and electric are almost always buried joint trench out here...it's the same company. I'm unsure if they're buried at the same depth, but in neighborhoods, and sometimes street frontage they're usually very close, and if you find a great deal of separation it means you're bleeding off, or they were buried different years...

As far as the other utilities, sometimes I think they just open a trench and throw whatever in the trench. Some areas, I find the catv feeders 4 feet from the rest of the stuff, other times it's right on top of everything else.
    The beutiful twist with the catv here is -- I met with the master contractor for Charter , he told me they find the electric , and purposely missle under it . ?wwhhaaa?!

TMO
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Locator5000 View Post

That must be Coserve?

This one isn't the most congested I've done, just one recent pain in the arse. Basically, you've got the big RT which is fairly new, which the sat right on top of a couple coppers and an old fiber. They ran a new fiber out of it with a 900pr feeding it from the SAI sitting right behind it (which in turn feeds most of a giant office park.) There is a FDF sitting off to the side with 4 dialectric fibers (of which only 3 are on the prints, AT&T ended up telling us that one of them was abandoned), that simply come out of the FDF and go into the manhole sitting right in the middle of all of this. They then shoot out of the manhole into the street. This is one portion of the job by the way, the rest of it was 3,000ft long down that road, crossing a highway along the way. It was mainly a pain because only one out of 5 total fibers had a metallic sheath. We had to individually fish the rest from within that manhole in 95+ degree temps.

Quote Originally Posted by TMO View Post
    The beutiful twist with the catv here is -- I met with the master contractor for Charter , he told me they find the electric , and purposely missle under it . ?wwhhaaa?!
    That's one of the most insane methods of buring a utility I've ever heard of. However... I'm not surprised. It's Charter.

Years of Experience

This isn't really a super congested one but I wouldn't want to be the water company digging up the broken water main. The watermain break is right on the corner of the vault.

Years of Experience

This picture is the dig up of the previous post. You can see the white writing on the pavement it is right where the guys are standing in the previous picture. They found three abandoned electric conduit packages an abandoned gas main and an abandoned gas service. You have to love locating in real old areas.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567