Thread: Locator Recognition Article

Years of Experience
    retired

Default Locator Recognition Article

I was thumbing through an old copy of Wired magazine from September '04 and found this. Thought I'd share~!
    "The next time you pound the pavement, keep your eyes on the ground. You'll notice the curious spray-painted markings, leaping lines, arrows, crosses, swooshes, and strange acronyms that make up a form of street graffiti that's actually on the street. What do these weird tags mean? // The runes augur the arrival of jackhammers and backhoes. A few days before any urban dig starts, an excavator marks up the designated area, usually in white, and alerts the local underground notification service center. The center puts out a call to the telcos, electric companies, waterworks, and cable outfits that subscribe to the service. The firms respond by dispatching workers with spray cans to map buried infrastructure. // If you know the lingo, you can visualize the dense architecture that sprawls beneath our streets. The paint colors are fairly standard: Red denotes power lines; yellow flags oil and gas; blue is for fresh water; green indicates sewage; purple highlights reclaimed H2O; and orange tags communications or cable TV lines. Some acronyms, like MCI or SBC, are obvious; others aren't. IP, for example, means "iron pipe," and USA stands for "underground service alert" (the aforementioned area slated for excavation). As Mike Hart, a plumber for the San Francisco water department puts it, "I tell my kids that I'm a graffiti professional." - Erik Davis

WHAT THE TAGS MEAN: 1) SBC Communications line; 2) municipal transit pole; 3) no Pacific Gas & Electric lines below; 4) 8-inch water main; 5) plastic high-pressure gas line; 6) water line; 7) no phone lines below; 8) telephone vault and lateral lines; 9) electric lines"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wired_locators.jpg  
    Last edited by wet_boots101; November 9th, 2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Ya can't read the text of the article!
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

Years of Experience

Default Re: Locator Recognition Article

well it appears not much has changed!!! ha!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

It is wierd seeing pics on this site. It's amazing how different every paints their lines and conduit packages.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Way cool. It is weird how everyone else paints their lines, goldenboy. I've noticed that with some of the other pictures posted.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Way cool. It is weird how everyone else paints their lines, goldenboy. I've noticed that with some of the other pictures posted.
    So much for CGA Best Practices for Locating and Marking- all utilities should use standardized set of marks nationwide...