Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 2 Post By Mke
  • 3 Post By Mke
  • 1 Post By jayc

Thread: Hmmmm....... I don't see anything wrong with putting a sign here....

Years of Experience

Default Hmmmm....... I don't see anything wrong with putting a sign here....

On a locate I had today.wp_20150303_001.jpg

Years of Experience

Default Re: Hmmmm....... I don't see anything wrong with putting a sign here....

Quote Originally Posted by ohlocator View Post
    On a locate I had today.
    Me neither, those AT&T lines are probably 6' - 8' deep, sign is going to go what? 24"?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Hmmmm....... I don't see anything wrong with putting a sign here....

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    Me neither, those AT&T lines are probably 6' - 8' deep, sign is going to go what? 24"?
    that often results with the excavator, locator & damage investigator standing around a hole and the excavator saying "I thought it was deeper".
    daman1, Nb22x and OnPointJim like this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    that often results with the excavator, locator & damage investigator standing around a hole and the excavator saying "I thought it was deeper".
    I've seen lines run 2 - 3 feet deep and then dive down to 5 or 6 feet to go into the manhole. It happens.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

We have sign footings 48" round and 10" deep.... They are big signs though.

I'm pretty sure they can shoe horn it in.

mke
    daman1 and UULC like this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    We have sign footings 48" round and 10" deep.... They are big signs though.

I'm pretty sure they can shoe horn it in.

mke
    As long as they pothole first and expose the lines there shouldn't be a problem.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    As long as they pothole first and expose the lines there shouldn't be a problem.
    As you say this, it all comes flooding back to me.

The City was performing the work. It was a big "cantilever" sign. Thats why the footing has to be that big and deep (please insert, "thats what she said").

They augered down to about 12'and kept it there. they kept bringing material up the whole time. about half way through the hole started to widen. We are in a flood plain that has been built up with sand dredged from the river.

They kept going. At one point they called it and brought in a Vac-truck to finish the excavation. When all was said and done, the hole was about 20' across and about 9' deep. In this hole, they had exposed the 24" water, and the 6" HP gas line.

The great part was, they didn't know how to mitigate the issues, so they put warning tape and cones around it and didn't touch it for 2 days. They finally came back and went to 8' deep with the sign base, but they put a huge spread footing on the sign to make up for the lack of depth. They also got yelled at by their water department and the local gas company.

Shoulda took pics

mke
    TheCableVine, UULC and phoenix827 like this.

Years of Experience

right after I finished marking that area ...they would 've had to call in a GPR crew because there is NO WAY they would have dug there with any mechanical equipment . ...
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

zen
    Years of Experience

the assumption that is a full size phone vault can sometimes bite a contractor I have seen 4 ft. deep FO hand holes with a full size bell MH lid on them. the fiber left the HH at 3 ft.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    the assumption that is a full size phone vault can sometimes bite a contractor I have seen 4 ft. deep FO hand holes with a full size bell MH lid on them. the fiber left the HH at 3 ft.
    That's why I'd suggest popping the manhole cover to see how far out it extends and if anything comes in that side and how deep it is.
    zen likes this.