Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good locators doing bad things

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: Good locators doing bad things

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Having someone carrying the box in parallel step for step like that and just five or ten feet away, I'm not sure what how he expected to zero in on anything but the transmitter. That close to the building, internal wiring or even re-bar in the foundation would pull you off. My guess is there at the end, he was heading inside to direct connect or clamp something he should have done right off the bat.
    What he was doing was what is known as a two man sweep. Some gas companies use it, when other methods have not worked. I agree the first step should of gained access and try coupling what he might of been looking for in the beginning. Seemed a serious over kill in the passive sweep. Walking in power mode along the edge of the grassy area and return in radio mode would of sufficed.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Starting at 3150 a month? holy "H" "E" double hockey sticks.....

As for the first video.... are they actually inducing with an RD? If you are going to Induce, why don't you use an 810 or a pipehorn that is a little better equiped for such activities?

Having been in situations like that..... I can tell you that very rarely do I induce like that.... Very rarely do I have someone to hold the box.

Mke

4Q2
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Guess I'm just not sure what this guy was hoping to find having some dude following him around with the box. I never swept an area like that. He even never hooked up or clamped anything. You're going to center the needle anytime you directly face the box. Maybe I'm the one missing something.
    http://www.spx.com/en/images/RD7000_...cm20-26601.pdf

It's an inductive search or "2 man sweep"..........like the last 2 posts said, there are passive methods that may also work and you prolly would not have a second guy to carry the transmitter if your just doing basic contract locating to complete tickets fast and your company don't care about a damage or 2 they can blame on you or boogering up someone elses utility. But, none the less it is a technique described in RD's factory manual (section 4.5.2) and prolly the best method to locate unaccessable lines.....like toll lines along RR tracks or cross-country (wooded area's) where access points may be few and far.........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123