• Worker who suffered burns in Maryville explosion dies

www.bnd.com

A Worden man who suffered severe burns in a massive gas explosion in Maryville on April 6 has died.

Construction worker John Doug Behme, 44, died Friday morning at the burn unit of Mercy Hospital in St. Louis, hospital officials confirmed.

Funeral arrangements were pending at Dauderman Mortuary.

Behme was part of a crew with Keller Construction excavating at the site of the future Villas at Nottingham on April 6 when they hit a 10-inch gas line operated by Ameren Illinois and triggered a massive explosion. Behme was initially taken to Anderson Hospital, then flown to Mercy Hospital in St. Louis with third-degree burns.

Behme, whose survivors include a wife, a daughter and a son, enjoyed hunting, fishing, traveling and hiking with his family, according to obituary information. He also enjoyed restoring old cars with his son.

Visitation is 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday and 9 to 10 a.m. Monday at Trinity Lutheran Church in Worden. The funeral is 10 a.m. at the church. Burial will be in Trinity Lutheran Cemetery in Worden.

Memorial contributions can be made to his children’s college fund.

At the time of the explosion, Maryville Police Officer Justin Krausz observed Behme as a “dark shadowy figure coming out of the fire.” Krausz ran toward the fire and helped Behme get away from the scene. He said that Behme had smoke coming off him, but was not on fire.

Behme, who had burns on 70 percent of his body, was initially thought to be on the path to recovery; early reports said his lungs were not damaged, and first-responders said he was able to walk and talk, as well as climb into the ambulance under his own power.

Behme underwent surgery about a week ago, which led to calls for blood donations on his behalf by friends and family on social media.

The Occupational Health and Safety Administration continues to investigate the accident and has not yet reached a conclusion, according to investigator Aaron Priddy. “This tragedy continues to unfold in a way we had hoped it wouldn’t go,” Priddy said.

Priddy said Behme’s death does not necessarily change the nature of the investigation, though communication tends to be more extensive and formalized in a fatal accident rather than an injury accident. In either case, he said, OSHA tries to work closely with the families, making sure they’re aware of their rights and processes.

Keller Construction could not immediately be reached for comment.

“My understanding is that (Keller) has been very cooperative with our compliance officer,” Priddy said. “I’ve not had any indication that they’ve given us any resistance.” Priddy said the developers, first responders and law enforcement also have been very forthcoming with information about the explosion.

By law, OSHA has up to six months from the date of a workplace accident to determine whether there was negligence or safety regulations were violated.

The construction crew had a valid JULIE permit, the utility-locating service has said.

• Recent Forum Posts

yahoo

Re: Big lottery winnings

that's messed up !!!! hang in there buddy !

yahoo Yesterday, 06:56 AM Go to last post
    yahoo

Re: Single Frequency Locators

well ...I learn something everyday for which I am thankful. I did not know there were any single freq. machines out there . I assumed all of them had

yahoo Yesterday, 06:55 AM Go to last post
    yahoo

Re: USIC idle time

when money is being made ....meaning decent productivity and hardly no damages ...nothing else matters to most bosses.

yahoo Yesterday, 06:53 AM Go to last post
    Tikiman

Re: USIC idle time

This must be an area thing. I see the USIC techs in this area leave the trucks running. Ive heard them bring it up in the past but Im guessing the boss

Tikiman Yesterday, 06:06 AM Go to last post
    Wingfoot

Big lottery winnings

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wingfoot Yesterday, 04:20 AM Go to last post
    Wingfoot

News You May Have Missed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bev Harris Exposes

Wingfoot Yesterday, 03:37 AM Go to last post
    Cuda

Re: Single Frequency Locators

long time no see man...... I think they are really for contractors who do very little locating and multiple freqs might just confuse them.

Cuda September 19th, 2017, 07:10 PM Go to last post
    yaherdme22

Single Frequency Locators

Does anyone like any of these single frequency locators......RD 5000, Schonstedt xtpc ,Subsite 830, Fisher tw-82 ,Metrotech Vivax 810, Subsurface PL-1500?

yaherdme22 September 19th, 2017, 05:48 PM Go to last post
    Wingfoot

Tattoo Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wingfoot September 19th, 2017, 05:09 AM Go to last post
    Wingfoot

Favorite Alcoholic Drink - another round!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wingfoot September 19th, 2017, 05:03 AM Go to last post
  • Poll Widget

Favorite Alcoholic Drink (Votes: 113)

1. Cuba Libra (rum and cola) (Votes: 6)

2. ScrewDriver/Greyhound/Salty Dog (vodka/gin and OJ/GJ) (Votes: 2)

3. High Ball (bourban/whiskey and cola) (Votes: 12)

4. Martini (Votes: 3)

5. Long Island or Texas Tea (Votes: 6)

6. Margarita (Votes: 9)

7. Scotch (Votes: 8)

8. Straight Shots (tequila, bourban, vodka, etc.) (Votes: 14)

9. Wine (Votes: 4)

10. Beer/Ale/Mead (Votes: 49)