• Summit faces $250K fine for potentially 'catastrophic' February gas leak

MaineBiz.biz

Summit Natural Gas is facing a $250,000 fine from the Maine Public Utilities Commission following an underground gas leak in February that forced the evacuation of several buildings at a Western Avenue shopping plaza in Augusta in an incident gas safety staff at the commission said could have been "catastrophic."

The Kennebec Journal reports that the origin of the gas leak was a 2-inch gas main that had been installed by the contracted company for the project, ElectriCom Utility Construction, using trenchless technology in November 2014. The installation caused damage to underground conduits resulting in arcing from the power lines burning a hole through the gas line, in turn causing the leak.

Lizzy Reinholt, a spokeswoman for Summit, told the Bangor Daily News that although the utility company believes the Augusta leak is an isolated incident, the company has begun an internal review of the March leak and installations done in 2013 and 2014 by ElectriCom.

"Had the gas continued its migration, and entered a nearby building for example, the Applebee's restaurant and ignited, the resulting damage could have been catastrophic and caused multiple fatalities," according to the PUC's notice of probable violation.

• Recent Forum Posts

yahoo

Re: Who did you vote for?

I guess the new question is ,, who are you going to vote for in 2020??? I already know who I am voting for !!!

yahoo April 23rd, 2019, 06:54 AM Go to last post
    yahoo

Re: Frozen Vaults

it appears everyone will stay busy in the end .

yahoo April 19th, 2019, 07:09 AM Go to last post
    Marge

Re: Frozen Vaults

Daman1 yeah I've broke plenty too. The tracer repair is separate from the broken lids. The company that owns the fiber us to do maintenance on they're

Marge April 18th, 2019, 06:47 AM Go to last post
    Mke

Re: Finding USTs with EMI?

Ditto.... Split box is a miracle worker in the right hands.

mke

Mke April 15th, 2019, 12:52 PM Go to last post
    yahoo

Re: what happened

same for me .....I thought it was over and it had finally run its course ...

yahoo April 15th, 2019, 06:49 AM Go to last post
    Rush

Re: Finding USTs with EMI?

Hi WNC, I do a lot of UST locating, what I find most helpful is a split box detector and a magnetometer. I prefer the aquatronic a6 and schonstedt ga92tx.

Rush April 14th, 2019, 03:01 AM Go to last post
    paintitnow

what happened

I couldn't get on this site for like a week.

paintitnow April 13th, 2019, 04:26 PM Go to last post
    yahoo

Re: Restorations

Lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yahoo April 1st, 2019, 06:49 AM Go to last post
    daman1

Nice.... If you want a really big restoration project I'll FedEx you my dignity. It's antique so be careful

daman1 March 30th, 2019, 05:19 PM Go to last post
    yahoo

WOW , that was great !! Steve , I only thought you knew how to ride bikes cross country and locate utilities ...Great job could almost feel the wind on

yahoo March 29th, 2019, 07:00 AM Go to last post
A 'Rook Media' Website