• (Update) Intersection reopened after gas explosion


    UGI is admitting that the gas line struck by a utility company was incorrectly marked.

    No one is exactly sure which direction the investigation will go, but UGI made it clear to us that they have not taken any responsibility for the gas leak, which ultimately led to the explosion.

    UGI says it's important to note that the company that was installing a fiber optic line underground and hit the gas line was supposed to double-check the location of the line prior to starting its construction.

    UGI also says there are a number of reasons as to why its gas line markings could have been off. Things like human error, street conditions changing over time or other utilities sharing the underground space could be those reasons. The true reason behind the mistake is not yet known.

    “It's too early in the process to cast blame,” stated UGI Spokesperson Mike Fessler. “It's everyone's job to find out what happened and to prevent something like this from happening again.”

    Wednesday, crews continued to demolish the building destroyed in Monday's explosion and cleanup leftover debris. George Street and Manor Avenue were still shut down for most of the day. Those roads are finally reopened.

    UGI crews will continue to monitor the scene throughout the night because there are still low level gas readings in the area. As for the investigation into who is to blame, we are told its something the Public Utility Commission, OSHA and the Department of Labor and Industry will be working on together.

    CBS 21 has learned that crews ran into some problems and the roads will remain closed until noon Wednesday.

    Continuing coverage of Tuesday's gas explosion in Lancaster County as crews were back on the scene to tear down the building that exploded. Except they ran into one major problem.

    The building was supposed to be torn down around 8 o’clock Tuesday morning, hoping to restore normalcy on the block by rush-hour. But lingering gas readings for a good portion of the day impeded that progress. Still Tuesday night, this high traffic area, the main route to Millersville University, remains closed.

    “Unfortunately, we're still finding pockets of gas in the general area,” explained Blue Rock Fire and Rescue Commissioner Duane Hagelgans.

    Lingering gas almost 24 hours after the initial leak fueled fears of the potential for a second explosion.

    “Until we can say absolutely positively there’s no gas leak, there is always a concern for explosion,” Hagelgans added.

    The early morning roadblock delayed cleanup by about five hours. The partially standing building blown a part by the explosion kept crews on watch.

    “Just kind of hanging there and it could fall at any moment,” Hagelgans commented.

    While 14 properties remained evacuated, workers spent the day ventilating the ground.

    “We are going to keep digging until we have zero readings everywhere we go,” Hagelgans told CBS 21.

    Experts realized that the remaining pockets of gas were leftover from Monday’s large leak.

    “It flowed for almost five hours Monday at 50 psi,” Hagelgans continued.

    When the gas cleared, crews began deconstructing the half-standing property piece by piece. Working behind schedule means more bad news, continue road closures during rush-hour.

    “It’s bad for rush-hour and it’s bad for the 8, 000 students coming to Millersville University,” Hagelgans concluded.

    Crews do want to emphasize that they will work to open the road as soon as they can, but safety is the top priority.

A 'Rook Media' Website