• Hackettstown gas leak injures three, caused by tent stake, police say


    lehighvalleylive.com

    Hackettstown, New Jersey

    Two adults and a child were treated for exposure to fumes after a gas leak was discovered Saturday afternoon in Hackettstown, according to police.

    Authorities said a 2-inch-wide gas line began leaking at about 1:20 p.m. Saturday in the rear parking lot of 178 Main St.

    Police learned the pipeline was cracked after a 3-foot-long stake was hammered into the ground to hold up a tent for Friday's annual Hackettstown Hometown Holiday Celebration.

    The fumes began to seep out of the ground Saturday after the stake was removed, according to police.

    Police said the two adults and child were taken to Hackettstown Regional Medical Center for treatment and the immediate area around the leak was evacuated. Police say the people exposed to the fumes were in the upstairs apartment at 178 Main St.

    Route 46 between Route 517 and Moore Street as well as Moore Street between Washington Street and Route 46 were closed for about 90 minutes, authorities reported.

    Police said the Hackettstown Fire Police, Hackettstown Rescue Squad, Tri-County Fire Co., Hackettstown Fire Department and Elizabethtown Gas assisted at the scene.