• Finding Dark Fiber in a Desert Ghost Town

TheAtlantic.com

Lots of fiber-optic cable in the United States runs along right-of-way routes for highways and railroads because it offers telecoms a straight-shot easement over a really long distance. Apparently, this method is as popular on defunct rail routes as it is on active ones, a lesson I learned while driving in north Utah along the original route of the transcontinental railroad, near Lucin.

Driving down a dirt road toward the old railroad grade, I passed old AT&T buried fiber signage. I was about five miles outside of the absolute middle of nowhere, so seeing a post for buried fiber-optic cable seemed a little weird. Following the arrow on the sign took me to another post, and a manhole.
    Beneath the Cloud
    Exploring what the Internet is made of
    Read more

I tried calling the numbers on the AT&T sign. One was for a state utility-locating service, and one gave me a busy signal.

Viewing the route from satellite imagery, it looks like the fiber eventually splits off the railroad route and returns to the highway near Lucin. Possibly into this weird building that may or may not be an AT&T switching station or amplifier.

I hadnít actually gone on that drive looking for fiberóI was going to see Terrace, a ghost town along the old railroad route that has basically been reduced to a pile of bricks and a Bureau of Land Management sign. Considering that the fiber was probably buried long after Terrace disappeared, itís likely that AT&T brokered that fiber route through the BLM and not the Union Pacific.

I donít really know for sure, but I doubt that AT&T fiber in the desert is actually being used for network traffic. It would probably be too perfect for a ghost town on an abandoned railroad route to be a secret, silent conduit of the network.

• Recent Forum Posts

yahoo

Re: Who did you vote for?

I guess the new question is ,, who are you going to vote for in 2020??? I already know who I am voting for !!!

yahoo April 23rd, 2019, 06:54 AM Go to last post
    yahoo

Re: Frozen Vaults

it appears everyone will stay busy in the end .

yahoo April 19th, 2019, 07:09 AM Go to last post
    Marge

Re: Frozen Vaults

Daman1 yeah I've broke plenty too. The tracer repair is separate from the broken lids. The company that owns the fiber us to do maintenance on they're

Marge April 18th, 2019, 06:47 AM Go to last post
    Mke

Re: Finding USTs with EMI?

Ditto.... Split box is a miracle worker in the right hands.

mke

Mke April 15th, 2019, 12:52 PM Go to last post
    yahoo

Re: what happened

same for me .....I thought it was over and it had finally run its course ...

yahoo April 15th, 2019, 06:49 AM Go to last post
    Rush

Re: Finding USTs with EMI?

Hi WNC, I do a lot of UST locating, what I find most helpful is a split box detector and a magnetometer. I prefer the aquatronic a6 and schonstedt ga92tx.

Rush April 14th, 2019, 03:01 AM Go to last post
    paintitnow

what happened

I couldn't get on this site for like a week.

paintitnow April 13th, 2019, 04:26 PM Go to last post
    yahoo

Re: Restorations

Lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yahoo April 1st, 2019, 06:49 AM Go to last post
    daman1

Nice.... If you want a really big restoration project I'll FedEx you my dignity. It's antique so be careful

daman1 March 30th, 2019, 05:19 PM Go to last post
    yahoo

WOW , that was great !! Steve , I only thought you knew how to ride bikes cross country and locate utilities ...Great job could almost feel the wind on

yahoo March 29th, 2019, 07:00 AM Go to last post
A 'Rook Media' Website